Monday, March 28, 2011

肉団子とかぼちゃの煮物 (Stewed meatballs & kabocha pumpkin)

Daddy's lunch by js_hale
Daddy's lunch, a photo by js_hale on Flickr.
Having the Kurodas here for several days inspired me to use up all the leftover items in our fridge to the best of my ability. There was a wedge of acorn squash left over, and since I didn't feel like going to the supermarket today, I defrosted some minced chicken and looked up a recipe to put them together.

I no longer trust recipes if they're in English - on the other hand, I have yet to go wrong with one that's written in Japanese, provided I can understand it. The braising sauce in the recipe was perfectly balanced, and my husband thought that it was (and that I am) amazing - the truth is that I can follow directions well when I put my mind to it. Either way, we're all eating well, and he's taking leftovers to work for lunch. I owe it all to my Tokyo friends - I am inspired to cook and eat more vegetables that I ever have in my life. Also on the menu tonight were brussels sprouts, boiled daikon, steamed rice and oven baked sweet potato fries. No oil or anything for the veggies - I used some dashi (fish broth) to flavor some of them, but that was it. Strawberries for dessert. It feels good to be healthy!