Monday, May 11, 2009

Germany

In our rush to get packed and go, we forgot USB connectors and such to upload photos - and since my phone is a CDMA and Germany is all GSM, I can't automatically upload from my phone like I normally do. We'll catch up when we get home. 

I had forgotten how great the food is in Germany, especially the bread!! Big mounds of fresh, dense peasant breads every morning for breakfast. . . makes me swear up & down that I'll go to the local bakery at least twice a week when I get home, instead of merely subsisting on grossly inadequate loaves of store-bought poo that we normally eat. :) 

We are in the Mosel wine region for the next 2 days, just taking it easy. Cochem is a medieval town from which we are basing our operations - it's kitschy and touristy, but small-scale and charming - a lot like St. Augustine, but older.  It's raining, so we're planning on visiting wine cellars today and saving the castle hikes for tomorrow - fingers crossed that the weather is better tomorrow. Peter is chomping at the bit to "storm the castle."