Sunday, August 03, 2008

Peter's first bento


0803081527a.jpg
Originally uploaded by js_hale
I bought this bento box in Japan town recently - it's fabulous, you can use it for sandwiches, salads or anything else. The little divider that comes with it is super convenient when you're packing a meal like this. It might look like stir fry, but actually it's curry that Peter made the other night.

Having prepared it entirely from memory (an Indian roommate in college taught him the recipe), Peter did a fantastic job - but the flavor & aroma was too intense for me. My pregnancy cravings are steering me towards all things mild, white and creamy - I'm all about mashed potatoes and alfredo sauce...I even put sweetened condensed milk in my iced tea and made a version of the "Royal Milk Tea" that you can buy in vending machines in Japan!

In summary, Peter's curry is unfortunately the polar opposite of what I'm eating these days. He made enough to feed an army, and has dutifully promised to help finish off the leftovers. Hence, the bento! I'm tempted to play around with the leftovers to see if I can mellow the flavor & make it into a creamy Tikka Masala! Stay tuned...